Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mate angle and translation/distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Berard

Electrical
Nov 16, 2016
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to get an animation done using mate relation. First I need to rotate a small part (see attached picture) and then translate in in the same axis as the rotated top plane - orange line
image1_kmnwgd.jpg

The rotation works fine but the movement is not what I want it to be. Any mate distance I'm adding is moving the part in the assembly x axis. I would like it to move accordingly to the top plane axis of the rotated part.

Not like so

image2_vzspo6.jpg

Thank you for your help

Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Martin Berard,

I cannot see your graphic. My site suppresses stuff like this. I am sure it is there.

Have you considered using a design table to work out the rotation? The spreadsheet will give you an opportunity to customize your movement.

--
JHG

Nothing like the minimalist SW file I'm working on.

so Mate Angle4 is working as expected I can move the part2 around my coupling part. It's Distance24 that gives me problem. I don't want a horizontal displacement I want a displacement on the same axis as the rotation (which in this case is the Assembly origin) so Part2 get closer/further relative to the coupling part arc part.

Martin

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d73b21c3-943b-4535-9461-ef42fcccea76&file=Anim3.zip
Martin Berard,

All you have attached is the assembly model. We will need the parts if we are going to examine this thing.

I still am working blind here. Go back over your constraints. When I have problems like this, sometimes I delete all my constraints and I re-apply them. This often catches dumb mistakes I could not see.

--
JHG

All parts are VC inside the assembly. Should be there. I already tried deleting all mates and redo without success.

Thank you for your help

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back