Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mate overdefined assembly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

callicospfx

Electrical
May 27, 2003
US
My assembly has 6 parts, 2 of them (body and compartment door) were derived from a base part (not part of the assembly). The body will not mate up completely, with any other parts. The door has no problems.

I can make the body concentric with a pipe but if I then try to set the distance between the end faces (body and pipe), I get the over defined error. This happens whenever I try to fully define a mate with this part.

I've removed all the mates I can see but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks, DC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DC,
The way I like to fix mate error is to start at the top. Fix the first part, then delete or fix the next one in line.

Bradley

Thanks for the reply,

I deleted all mates and the assembly is made of parts, no sub assemblies (so no mates there).
Can SW place mates somewhere else?

Thanks, DC

If you want, send me the files and I will look at them. Write a brief description of what you want to do.

jevakil@mapdi.com

One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

There could be a couple things causing your trouble:

1.) after making the concentric mate, make sure the two faces that you are using for the distance mate are parallel (or at least can be made so by the mate= faces perpendicular to axis of concentricity).
possible alternate approaches:
a.) try reversing the order and add the distance mate first
b.) try a distance mate between the face of one part and a vertex or point on the other

2.) conflict in mate direction-- see if selecting aligned or anti-aligned makes a difference

If you would like for me to have a look, send me an email (don't send files right away) to the address in my profile.

[bat]There's no double-lock defense; there's no chain on my door.
And I'm available for consultation,
but remember your way in is also my way out
[bat]

callicospfx

Another possibility would be that there is an in context relationship between the body and something else that is preventing the distance mate from happening, such as the base sketch for the body is placed on a plane of the pipe. I have run into this and it get's frustrating....

At least worth looking into.

Alan M. Etzkorn
Hoffco/Comet Industries Inc.

In addition to In-context relationships, make sure none of your parts in the assembly are Fixed by accident.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

TheTick found it!

My settings were to limited to see the drawing error that caused the face to be off parallel!

In his words,...
It is off in the 7th or 8th decimal place (yes, that's enough to booger things up).

When I checked the angle, it was 90.0 degress, but the
accuracy was set for only one decimal place (there is
an options settings button when you hit "Tools-->Measure"). Crank that up to 8 places and see. Also, when two entities are parallel or perpendicular, you will see that noted explicitly when you measure.

Thanks again to everyone for their speedy replies!

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back