Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

material A216 WCB for gate valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefigueredo

Materials
May 23, 2011
VE
Greetings to all

Can I use the ASTM material A216/WCB to a gate valve globe-8 "
# 150?. piping system fire has an operating pressure 100-120 psi
room temperature. Does anyone know where to find the specification for the selection of best material for the gate valve globe?.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jose, I assume that you are referring to the disc of a gate valve, is that correct? Also, the media is water? The application is a deluge for a fire system? If the answer is yes to all three then I suggest API trim 8 which is a 13% Cr with HF stellite.

Is correct, the disk material is the gate, thanks for the reply. this type of material is in accordance with manufacturing standards API 600 gate valves, as the piping system of the plant fire set that conforms to the above rule.

Different fire water qualities exist.

The ASTM or similar ASME material A216/WCB likely applies to the body and flange material for a carbon steel gate valve. The standard applies to the valve bodies, flanges, some fittings and other pressure-containing parts. Tables related to the flange class may apply to the pressure and temperature rating. The ASTM standard applies to service and assembly etc. Other casting and steel parts are related. Such valves may be associated with other grades such as WCA, WCB, and WCC. Good control valves have mostly moved from WCB to WCC. Each grade is covered in the codes and standards. Check to verify that the selection is suitable to the process conditions including temperature etc. Other information helps to verify the material requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back