Material advice for microphone array mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosfet9

Electrical
Jun 29, 2008
CA
Hi,

I'm building a microphone array (4 small electret mics) to do field recordings of speech, and would like some advice for what materials to build the housing out of. I've built a prototype out of light wood and placed the mics into small holes that are drilled to exactly the size of the mic diameter. However any movement in the cable (as well as any friction against the wood) is picked up very loudly by the mics, and I need to minimize both these effects.

What material would you recommend that is easy to cut/drill, can be purchased in blocks, and would maximize acoustic isolation of the mics from the housing and everything it comes in contact with?

Thanks
Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally you either glue the whole thing together or isoalte the mics from the casing with black foam. You could even make the cubes form blocks of foam.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I've done something similar to what you're doing with the holes in the panel, but I made the holes slightly oversize and used 'O'-rings around the microphone bodies to both retain them and provide some slight isolation.

Works fairly well.

- R

When you've finished, set the thing up and listen tot he output. Wiggle the whole thing around, you will (unless you are an absolute genius, or deaf) be horrified by the weird noises that come from cables slapping, the mics moving in their mounts etc. A hot glue gun might be your best friend.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg and Rob, thanks for the advice.
I'll try using a foam block, with a small metal plate on the bottom for strain relief on the cables (and hopefully some attenuation of waves travelling down the wire toward the mics), and I'll give hot glue and rubber rings a try as well.
Greg- I'm thinking your prediction might be accurate, but I'm hopeful that there will be enough improvement over the wood blocks when using foam (the noise with a balsa wood block was way too loud);
-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back