Material alternative for Rubber Wheel chocks. (no odor) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalina Diaz

Industrial
Oct 30, 2018
US
Hello.
Would like to manufacture wheel chocks with same/similar characteristics rubber offers but taking the smell out of the equation.
I thought NBR, but I read in the forums that it does have a pungent odor. What about SBR, EPDM or would polyurethane do the job? Thinking about costs, I see EPDM or Polyurethane could work, they could be just a little above NR cost??. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Polyurethane chocks are already a thing. They are tough as nails. Cost is going to be a little higher but like anything else, you just sell the advantages, make them a distinct color unique to your branding, etc.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I never found the odour of many nitrile compounds particularly pungent however, each to their own I suppose. Why would you want to make the chocks out of fairly expensive nitrile rubber? Formulated correctly, EPDM-based compounds can be relatively inexpensive but wouldn't be as hard wearing not as hard as some PU-based compounds.

forumtowers.com

My concern with EPDM is that it softens rapidly when exposed to petroleum oils that are often found on the ground around vehicles.

My suggestion would be to use the same rubber as the tires as it wouldn't be any more oderous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back