Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material compatibility for oxygen service

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomaszKruk

Civil/Environmental
Oct 2, 2019
PL
hello,

I have a question about resources evaluating piping material compatibility for oxygen service. We are using EIGA documents, but they recommend Inconel / Monel / Hastelloy for pressures above 4,0 MPa. And that's it. I was hoping to find some data regarding possibility of using stainless steel instead, since this is what is working on the plant right now. Wall thickness adjusted, ofc.

I cannot go into details, but it's oxygen pressured to around 40 bar, gas velocity around 12 m/s, temperature 150oC.

Can you recommend where to look? Any thoughts regarding material selection? Nickel alloys are recommended - should I not trust my lying eyes that see stainless there?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Old NASA docs.
Such as Ignition of Metals in Oxygen, DMIC report 224, Feb 1, 1966
In my experience I have seen the restriction to Ni alloys only in breathing systems. SS is commonly used at these intermediate temperature and pressure. Look into the CGA guides

Valves and regulators are still issues, we always used Co alloys in control valves and Ni alloy regulators.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The 30barg pure O2 compressor I used to operate had O2 at 30barg and 150degC in SS316L. Make sure all SS316L pipes, fittings and valves are well degreased. Insist on material certs for SS316L to be sure. 12m/sec sounds a little high, but may be ok.

There are CGA specs for 'cleaned for oxygen service'. All valves, regulators, and fittings must be individually bagged and certified to such a spec. It costs money but is well worth it.
At these velocities we went to Ni or Co alloys for control valves and regulators.
I never had it happen but I have seen the aftermath of a regulator failure, that then burned.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back