Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material custom properties used for BOM and Detail blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikonen

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2005
US
I was trying to create a custom material library which had my standard materials I use in designing molds. In this library I used custom properties to fill in the information I wanted from the material like Hardness. I was hoping I could create my model, assign the material to it and then when I goto create my BOM or detail notes have the information automatically populate based on the information assigned in the material library.

Can this be done? How do I do it? I have assigned custom names (matHardness) to the field and I can't figure out to use this information the way I want. Is there a different way I should be trying to accomplish this? I don't want to have to continuously type this infpormation in all the time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done a similar thing with our BOM. I've set up our parts template to have custom properties (Length, width, thickness, material, hardware used, etc). This is a must so you don't have to fill in this info every time.

I started with a stock BOM template, and added columns for my custom props. Highlight a column (left click) and hit the 'column properties' button in the popup menu. Select 'Custom Property' in the first drop down menu, then select the property you would like to populate the column with in the other drop down. Do this for all of your columns/custom props.

Right click the BOM and select Save As... Save as type should be Template (*.sldbomtbt).

Goodtruant explains how to show custom part properties. I'm pretty sure you cannot carry from the materials properties. That seems like a bad thing. You should be able to populate part properties automatically from the selected material.
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back