Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

material data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

baraban

Aerospace
Oct 9, 2003
DE
Dear reader,

What are the ultimate strengh and yield strength of material MIL HDBK-5?

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just FYI to anyone who hasn't found out already, Mil-Hdbk-5 has been superseded by MMPDS-01. If you haven't updated your sources, it's probably a good idea to do so.

Maybe baraban was asking a more general question about yield strength and ultimate strength (as described in Mil-hdbk-5 or any other material reference). The terms generally apply to the tensile characteristics of materials.

Yield strength (or, more properly, yield stress), elastic limit, proportional limit and ultimate stress are the essential building blocks of using materials in engineering aplications. You need to consider the modulus of elasticity (Youngs modulus) to get the right rigidity, and how materials behave under tensile, compressive, torsion and shear loads. Fatigue, creep and buckling get a bit more tricky.

These are all pretty simple concepts (to begin with) and there are lots of good books on them. You shouldn't be using materials in aerospace or safety-critical applications unlesss you have a good intuitive grasp of the concepts.

If I have misinterpreted the question and Baraban is actually Boeing's Chief Engineer, I apologise unreservedly (but you'll still agree, I'm sure!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back