Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material Definition in Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan_F

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2022
US
Using SW 2020 and I have a part with 3 configurations in it. Each configuration uses a different material. In the Custom Properties, I have a Property called Material defined. For the value, I can specify the material option and the function "SW-Material@...." is placed. However, when I Save the part, this function disappears and the Value becomes text of the material. Due to this, when in the drawing, the material note does not update per the displayed configuration.
Any ideas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SBaugh - That works, but you need to create a Property for each config, which is ok for a low number of configs. The big issue I find with this process is that the note on the drawing has to reference the config specific property and this has to be specified for each sheet that has a different configuration. Ideally, the note would be linked to the Material property and updates depending on the displayed configuration.

This is the CAD block I made that I use in our drawings when they are heading to the Plasma table. It reflects whatever the view is. If I have 3 configs of different materials I just have to use the correct Config in the view and the note updates.

PART NUMBER: $PRPVIEW:"SW-File Name(File Name)"
$PRPSMODEL:"Material" $COMP:"600-1-1@Drawing View1"
THK: $PRPVIEW:"Thickness"
QTY X
NEXT PROCESS: $PRPSHEET:"Next_Process"

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I think I found the issue, but dont know how to resolve it.
In the Custom Property area, I can specify the Material to be an expression that references the material in the part and this works when I toggle the configurations. However, as soon as I hit the save button, the Material Property reverts to Text. In other words, the Expression does not stay and thus the material property does not update with config

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back