Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Equivalent for Steel 1008 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngeAX

Industrial
Feb 26, 2014
US
Hi,
I have a question for you; I have been searching and some say yes and some they don't consider material SPCC as an equivalent to Steel 1008, do you have any data that confirms or denies this??
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SPCC is per the JIS standard, 1008 is ASTM.
Both are "general use" steels and are roughly equivalent.

SPCC
Max c .15%
Max mn .6%
Max P .05%
Max S .05%
Min 40 ksi tensile

Max c .15%
Max mn .6%
Max P .03%
Max S .035%
20-40 ksi tensile

That's what I noticed, composition is close, I can say that SPCC it's just an option if you cant find 1008, but definitely they are not Equivalents.
Thank you MCGYVR

IngeAX,

You are getting conflicting opinions because this is sort of a gray area. The requirements for SPCC are well defined in the Japanese standard JIS G3141. 1008 is a designation from SAE J403, which is for chemical composition only, not product form (sheet, strip, bar). So there is nothing about mechanical properties, tolerances on sheet thickness, etc. In terms of chemical composition, 1008 from SAE J403 is similar to SPCC, but not exact. The C content is limited to 0.10% maximum for 1008, whereas SPCC allows 0.15% max. ASTM standards, not SAE, are used for defining product forms such as sheet. ASTM A1008 is the North American analog to JIS G3141, and has grades that line up well:

JIS ASTM
SPCC --> CS Type B
SPCD --> CS Type A
SPCE --> DS Type A or B
SPCF --> DDS
SPCG --> EDDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back