Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material for Bearing Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklineng

Industrial
Nov 9, 2002
CA
I need to make a custom bushing driver. I am considering using ASTM 4140 material? Any other material I should be considering? Should it be hardened and too what degree?

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The function of the driver is to install a bushing into the arm of steer knuckle at the proper depth with out distorting the bushing. It is not a one time tool, but daily usage.

Using annealed S7 would probably work as well. It would work harden on the contact surfaces quite quickly and would be less prone to craking/shattering caused by pressing on hardened steel.

Nick

"Speed costs money boys, how fast do you want to go?"

I wouldnt use annealed tool steel. The tool steels are properly used at a Q&T condition.

30/36HRc is relatively tough and has a tensile strength ~150ksi. There should be no problem with cracking or shattering.

If the tool shows deformation after 1-2 uses you could try a tool steel. Since you are not hammering the bearing in you could use a common steel like O1. (Q&T to 45-50HRc giving ~231ksi strength)

Nick
I love materials science!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back