Material Library in ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
Hi,
I'm new to ANSYS but not new to FEA. Impressed and pleased so far.

As I get started I can't help but notice the minuscule built-in material properties list.
What do people normally do about that? There's only one grade of aluminum, and the data in that doesn't even seem valid.

Probably important to note, I'm not giving the software re-seller a penny more than they have already extorted out of me. I'll pay for things from OTHER sources, though, if it saves me a few days of typing data into spreadsheets.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just set up my own material library based on some standards my company already has (ASME BPVC, ASME STS, etc), which works well for me since I usually only work with a handful of materials and also need temperature dependent properties (which I wouldn't necessarily expect a "stock" material library to have). Ansys lets you export and import this library as an XML file, so I just maintain that and import it into each new analysis (drop it into workbench and it'll show up as "Engineering Data", then connect that to anywhere you need it in the workbench window). If you don't need all your materials at once and just add to it as needed, it might not be too bad to set up, depending on how many materials you'll need in the end.

(drop it into workbench and it'll show up as "Engineering Data"

Yes that's a lot like what I'm looking for. Doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
I'm just very busy (and so are all my minions). It would be a pain to set someone aside for a couple of days just to do that. We will do it if necessary.

Could somebody show me the "index" from the Granta library?

Please don't take that as an invitation to post the entire thing (copyright violation) but if a user with the library can quickly scan the list and see that there is, for example, multiple entries for 7075 for a variety of tempers and forms, cross referenced to MMPDS.

That would confirm that the library is actually useful to me and not just a pile of numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back