Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material Not Listed In Table Y-1??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrande

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
I'm currently designing a Shell & Tube heat exchanger with SB-111 C68700 Tubes. In Section II-D, Table 1B, (pg. 182) the material is listed as being allowable for Section VIII, Div. 1 units up to a design temperature of 450°F. However, the material is not listed in Table Y-1 & Compress asignes the material a Yield Stress of 0 psi.

If Table 1B lists the material as usable for my design, why is it not listed in Y-1? Secondly, can I still use this material for my Section VIII, Div. 1 exchanger?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

COMPRESS provides the material properties listed in Table Y-1 from ASME Section II Part D. Not all "Code" materials may have material properties listed. Also, the maximum temperature in Table Y-1 is 1000° F; some materials will have permissible maximum temperatures greater than 1000° F.

ASME provides the material property tables for the convenience of vessel designers and consistency of designs. Also, certain Code rules are based on assumed values for modulus of elasticity, etc. But not all properties are available for all materials at all temperatures. If the information is not available in Section II Part D then other sources should be consulted, including the steel producers.

COMPRESS provides options to extract material properties from ASME, TEMA, or as user-defined. The user-defined option should be used if the information is not available in ASME Code or TEMA Standard.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back