Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lighterup

Aerospace
Sep 7, 2005
US
I have an unusual requirement for a cotton-like material which will not accumulate surface charge as readily as nylon or teflon fibers. This material needs to be moisture resistant like nylon, and also needs to be transparent to radio frequency energy. Most of all, it needs to be durable and resist tearing and fraying. We have tried heavy cotton canvas and it is not sturdy enough for our application at the 9 oz weight we tried.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does anyone read this forum? I have done some further study on the triboelectric process and have actually found a standard, ASTM F23.20.05 which covers this phenomenon for hazardous vapor duty materials. Are there any textile jocks on this site who could help me with this?

Unfortunately this is not a very active forum. You do need to describe your application better to get help. There are many possibillities. Is wear resistance most important? what about cost? Kevlar is tough but expensive. Static can be addressed by additives such as humectants or conductive materials. How much radio transparency is needed? What frequency.

Mike

Dacron is DuPont's trade name for their Polyester.

I agree Polyester/Cotton blend sounds like the way to go.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I asked my friends in the textile industry if they could help. Their friends can make strong, water- resistant cotton duck.

How much do you need?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back