Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MATERIAL SELECTION OF PIPE SERVICES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2020
IQ
DEAR SIR
I AM WORKING FOR A PETROLIUM REFINARY PROJECT .. MOST OF THE VARIOUS TYPES OF MATERIAL USED IN PIPING ACTIVITIES FOR VARIOUS TYPES OF SERVICES .. MY QUESTION IS HOW TO SELECT A MATERIAL TO SERVICES BASED (IF EXAMPLE DE MINERALISED WATER SERVICE LINE IS MADE FOR STAINLESS STEEL ) HOW TO THEY ARE SELECT THE MATERIALS .WHICH SECTION IS REFERRED TO SELECT .. WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANT FACTOR CONSIDER FOR SELECT A PIPES TO SERVICE BASED APPLICATIONS .. MY ANOTHER DOUBT IS DM WATER LINE IS NOT A DRINKING WATER LINE THEN ALL MINERALS ARE REMOVER SO NO HAVE AN OXYGEN IN THIS WATER SO I THINK IN THIS WATER IS NOT REACT WITH MATERIAL NOT MAKE A CORROSION MAKE A CORROSION ..SO WE ARE USED FOR LOW ALLOY STEEL IS PREFFERED FOR THIS APPLICATION SERVICES ECONOMY WISE IS A GOOD .COMPARE THEN STAINLESS STEEL COST... WE ARE COMPARE FOR LIFE OF STEEL SS IS BETTER THAN ALLOY ..I HOPE TO WAIT FOR A PROPER ANSWER TO YOU

THANKING YOU

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stainless steel is often specified in this service to keep the water demineralized for process considerations. Corrosion of CS and low alloy steels by the demin water makes the water "mineralized". Generally Owners and Engineering companies have corrosion metallurgists thoroughly familiar with the processes and materials selection for same. You appear to be in way over your head re materials selection and should be consulting with corrosion metallurgists within your company or talk to refinery metallurgists and the refinery Inspector.

Sath ....

I agree with Weldstan ...

You appear to be in way over your head re materials selection and should be consulting with corrosion metallurgists within your company or talk to refinery metallurgists and the refinery Inspector.

You seem to have little materials experience and to have been thrown into a job by supervison that cares little about you or your performance..... I am guessing an MBA has assigned you this task ,,,,

Your question explains why well-run refineries retain the services of a consulting engineering firm or perhaps free-lance metalurgists.

Purchase this book .... It would be a good start for your long journey

Also, ... dig that piece of dirt out from your the side of your Caps Lock key .... The one that is holding it down

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

When I was a fledgling materials application engineer for an EPC company in L.A. in the 1970s, I was able to attend a monthly Refinery Inspectors dinner meeting attended by corrosion metallurgists and refinery inspectors of all refineries in the area (minus Texaco) including small refineries in Bakersfield. This was invaluable for my education. If something like this could be found in your area, it would be great to attend even if you had to drive a hundred miles to do so. Unfortunately in todays world, the likelihood of there being such an informal group to discuss such issues appears slim to none.

Also Oxygen is not a mineral it's a gas so demin water can still corrode steel unless stringent efforts are made to avoid any air contact in the systems.

There's no point spending lots of money to remove all the minerals and then re-introduce some by transporting it in the wrong material.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Having seen the damage that various higher purity waters can do with a bit of dissolved CO2 in them this is a matter of real concern.
You also have to worry about the outside of the piping.
Piping material selection is a field of expertise of its own. Find professionals to assist you.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back