Material that can mimic and predict outcome for gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng4dummies

Student
May 4, 2024
CA
Hi,

I’m currently working on a prototype for a pattern that has certain unique properties. The material the final pattern would be made of would be a precious metal such as gold.

my question is… which inexpensive materials can mimic the properties of gold when doing a proof of concept? I am looking for malleability, strength, structure, as opposed to colour and value.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any metal or material whose properties were so similar to gold that if the pattern can be proven to work with that, then by extension it would probably work with gold.

Thank you! Any ideas are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASSUMPTION: OP is looking at "pure" (99+ %, or 24 karat) gold.
Best fit (malleability): lead. Followed (in order) by - niobium, palladium, platinum,, silver.
Best fit (strength): silver. Followed by aluminum.
Best fit (structure): pretty much all metals - at the atomic level, the two most similar are gold and lead (high nuclear mass coupled with fast-moving electrons equates to "small" diameter atom).

Best fit (conductivity): silver, then platinum. (Copper - and most copper-based alloys - is better than any of these.)

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Thank you Gr8blu for your in depth response. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!! You’re a life saver!

Now my brain is firing. Perhaps I could create a lead-silver compound to mimic gold properties and use that when creating the prototype…

Ahhhh, yes. That’s a very good point. I’m based in Canada and the prototype won’t be for use, just proof of concept. I’m not sure if that would affect any of the rules, however. I’ll look into the relevant laws and rules regarding its use here. Thank you so much!

make a proof of concept out of silver, then a prototype out of gold.

how much material are we talking about ? 1kg ?? 1g ??

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

I assume 5-6 ounces total, to account for materials lost during creation, unusable prototypes (material loss), and final product etc. So if I made those prototypes out of gold it would possibly get costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back