Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material types in AMS 5561 steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnh

Aerospace
Mar 22, 2001
GB
Hi to All,

I have a customer requirement for AMS 5561B Type 1 Class 1 tube; the customer says that the tube must be drawn NOT welded.

However, Para 3.3 (Fabrication) of AMS 5561B states that "Tubing shall be produced by a welded and drawn process."
Also, AMS 5561B doesn't reference any Types of tube - only inspection Classes.

I seem to recall there being two types (1 and 2) of tube in this material but I can't locate any current references to them.
Does anyone know if the type requirement has been deleted from the B revision of AMS 5561?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The current rev of this spec is "G". Your customer needs to get out of the 1950's. This tubing welded and drawn is used in service to 5,000 psi.

This spec allows both seamless and welded and drawn. All of it made is welded and drawn for a couple of reasons.
1. No one has the capacity to make this product seamless
2. If you did it would never pass the required UT testing.

The dimensional requirements are tight, so are the mechanical properties and the UT sensitivity is nuts (on some classes).
This is aircraft hydraulic tubing.
The starting strip is double melted to get it clean (AOD-ESR).
The cold rolled strip is made to tight tolerances. The tubes are welded, annealed, drawn, annealed, and then drawn to achieve final properties. Depending on the size of tubing there may even be more draw passes. I have never seen a fatigue sample fail on the weld.
This material is used along with Ti 3-2 which is cold worked to the same strengths. The Ti is lighter, but the stainless will tolerate mechanical damage without leaking.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Thanks for the help.

The customer is a major UK/US aerospace manufacturer so should be working to the latest revision specs.

However, the query came from the customer's buying department - they believed there could be cost reductions to be made by using seamless rather that welded & drawn tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back