Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material used for Peugeot Conrod Manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBDMatt

Automotive
Feb 5, 2007
GB
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the material used to manufacture Peugeot Conrods. i have some standard ones that I need to modify for an engine that I am doing. It would be nice before I go too far to know if the rods will stand upto the revs that I am looking for. To do this I need to know the tensile stress of the material that is used in manufacture. Cast iron is too varied as a general rule of thumb, also not sure if they are cast steel. I know that the rods are circa 1995 technology. Any one have any ideas??

Thanks,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Likely they are forged steel, similar to SAE 1541. They could be microalloyed steel, or even a powdered metal alloy. For tensile strength, a quenched and tempered 1541 rod would have a tensile strength between 1000 MPa and 1200 MPa.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Are the rods out of the engine? Got a picture? wide flash along the I-beam suggests a forging . Thin pebbly flash suggest a casting or PM. A small shallow hole drilled in a non-critical area (or in a spare rod) would produce chips whose behaviour would indicate general ductility. A hardness test would help judge tensile strength. I'd magnaflux Con rods (new or used) that I plan on abusing, paying special attention around bolt seats and removing the bolts if necessary to get a better view, and shot-peen them for improved fatigue life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back