Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Materials for Supercritical Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

749KDV

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2002
US
Does anyone have any information regarding the exotic alloys that are to be used for "supercritical" power plants? I have information that leads me to believe that nickel based super alloys are used in boilers and steam turbine components to withstand the extreme temperatures used in the supercrital power plants. Any links to test data for these alloys, or operational data?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. The thread below contains reference to a paper that was issued by EPRI at an International Power Conference that lists the recent material advancements for ultra-supercritical power plants.

thread605-150252

A second report that might be of interest is the following;

"Fabrication of Steels for Advanced Power Plants" by MBarrie of Mitsui Babcock Energy Limited, Report No COAL R226, DTI/Pub URN 02/1508 (2003)

Here is another good paper that I found.

"Materials Issues for Turbines for Operation in Ultra-Supercritical Steam", by I.G. Wright, P.J. Mazias, F.V. Ellis, T.B. Gibbons, and D.A. Woodford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back