Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Materials on Landfill 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelelo

Geotechnical
Aug 10, 2009
DO
Anyone knows the best material that is used to be placed in a landfill? (gravel, silts, clays,etc?.

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what engineering properties do you need? once you settle on that, than pick a material. and generally it will be a function of cost effective local borrow materials

I thought there were specific materials to cap off the landfill.

In my experience I have seen silt material on top of the landfill (for closure). However I am not sure if that's the best material to use as cap.

Check your state or federal regulations the cap of a landfill has to provide a low permeability barrier, which is why most are being capped with compacted clay or HDPE liners. Landfill gas is also captured in larger facilities and needs to be considered in cap design.

yes, there are requirements for final cover which generally includes an infiltration resistant layer (with permeability requirements) and a top layer of erosion resistant material. thickness of the infiltration layer will be related to the permeability. Usually these materials are stockpiled from the onsite excavation for the landfill but if not they need to be borrowed and hauled in from somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back