Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Materials selection for RO treated water 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud22

Structural
Apr 7, 2003
US
We are doing design on installing a Reverse Osmosis system for a boiler make up water system. Preliminary design calls for the RO system to treat the water before it goes to the softner. Limited experience with RO systems in the past have raised concern with corrosion potential in piping. Any guidance on type of piping materials to use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

spud22
We soften our water then RO the water to increase the recovery of the water. We use PVC down stream but I have also seen HDPE used.
Hope this helps.
By the way our system is small. 25-30 gpm.

Goodluck
StoneCold

Hey Spud, I'm dealing with some water problems at this time also. Is your design for an industrial (like a chemical plant) or a cleaner environment?

Brent

Nickelmet,

The system I'm working on is for a manufacturing plant with an output of over 100,000 lbs/hr of steam. While piping is part of the problem, a greater concern is material for a large storage tank which will serve as a surge tank for the output from the RO system. Whether special materials, liners, etc., are required is what I'm working on now.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Spud:

We utilize our contractors whenever possible to gain that type of information. Companies that specialize in boiler systems and treatments are: Babcock & Wilcox ( DREW Chemical ( , GE/Betz ( and Nalco (
Now, treating your water is as important as the material selection. We currently use various materials in the RO system, depending on the state of the water. Carbon steel is used in a majority of the cases. However, there is some stainless steel and duplex stainless steel in the system. For all, treatment of the water to control the water chemistry and corrosiveness is very important.

Sorry if this doesn't help out too much, but honestly I cover the materials/metallurgy/corrosion for a whole refinery and bringing in specific experts on the subject matter is always key, especially the first time around.

~NiM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back