Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mating constraints for links of a chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

connery

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2003
JP
Dear all,
I have tried to give constraints to two links of a chain,
but couldn't succseed.I didn't get the desired effect.Does anybody knows how to do it?

Thanks!
Mangesh Purekar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've had some success constraining the link axis to each other and also to an assembly sketch whose shape mimics the "pitch dia shape" of the finished assy.

The driven distance between the one plane (spocket center point location) and a parellel plane for the tightening roller is kept by an equation which keeps the length of one link times the # of links = the overall length of the assembly sketch constant.

Remember...
"If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet."

In my experience in modeling chains I found that is was easier to create the chain as one part instead of creating an assembly of it.

I created one link of chain and then used a curve driven pattern to get the desired chain type. Then if the chain is used in many different set-ups you can create configurations driven by a design table.

Just a suggestion!

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back