Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mating two faces in SolidWorks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogarila

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2001
CA
I need help in mating two faces in an assembly in SW2011 SP5.0. First component is fixed, second component is completely free and I can move it freely with my mouse. The faces are close to each other. I click on mate, select the first face then the second face, I select "parallel" for the type of mate and I get this message: The components cannot be moved to a position which satisfies this mate. Planar faces are not parallel. Angle is 12.03208205 deg.
I know "planar faces are not parallel" because I want to make them parallel. I never had this problem in previous versions of SW. I am using SW2011 x64 SP5.0 in Windows7 x64.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the assy consist of only the two parts?
If not, just as a test, create a new assy, insert the part to be fixed by simply clicking the green check mark. Insert the 2nd part by clicking in the graphics area, and then retry the parallel mate.

There are lots of parts, subassemblies and mates. I think the reason was that the second component, the one without mates was a flexible assembly. I made it rigid, mated it (it worked now) and made it flexible again. You learn something every day.

Dogarila,

No other conflicting mates at all? That's usually what I get when another mate is preventing me from getting the parallel mate.

SW Premium 2011
64 bit SP4.0
Intel Xenon X5650 @2.67GHz
2.66 GHz 11.9 GB of RAM

I noticed the fact that bringing parts closer helps. That is actually the first thing I did but it didn't help in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back