Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Matrices with a Calculator ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennsy

Electrical
Jun 4, 2003
US
I have some what of a dilemma, I was asked to do some analysis that involved Matrices. Ok fine .
However I didn't have any reference material with me I put it of until tomarrow, since I havn't done Matrices since the middle of the Sixties ( the 1960s) and needed to 'whip out my circuits' book and jog my memory.
Looking over the chapters I came across the crux of my problem, the chapter on complex numbers was going fine until I came to the section that said. "Using the slide-rule for complex numbers".
I have no idea where my 'old' K&E is, can someone recommend a calculator that does Matrices and complex numbers.
I have been away from that end of it for quite awhile.

WmColt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always had a difficult time doing matrices and complex numbers with a slide rule. Too much addition and subtraction which is not conveniently done on a slide rule.[bugeyed]

I'd much rather use a general math program like Mathcad than a calculator for complex numbers and matrices. Easier to find and correct mistakes.

If you dont like using reverse polish notation as HP requires, then use a Texas Instrument calculator like a TI-85. They have all the memory and additional programs to be had like an HP except you enter everything in as you would write it on a piece of paper. Matrices show up as they would on a piece of paper as well (not sure how HP displays matrices).
TI's are cheaper and work just as well. You can even get one at Wal-mart instead of some specialty place. TI is my preference (in case you can't tell, hehe). I believe a TI-85 is around $80 US. An HP is well above $100 last time I looked ('92).

All the calculators mentioned above will work fine. Also, as mentioned above, you may really want to consider a software solution, since they are much easier to work with and can easily be changed, etc...MathCad is good, but I know I've seen a shareware bolt-on to Excel somewhere, but I can't find it at the present.

Mathcad knocks the socks off any other method if you don't mind being tied to a laptop or desktop. You can do complex numbers, matrices, graphs, the lot and you have a printable audit trail of your calcs and (just as important next week when you've forgetten what you did) your logic.

If you are into the masochism, you could go for matlab or mathematica... but they are more aimed at the rocket scientist types.

Bung
Life is non-linear...

I concur with Bung and Jgrist regarding Mathcad. This utility program is simple and provides superior efficiency not only calculating complex number and matrices but also to produce elegant writing report with template that could be re-used in future work.

Since Excel is wide available, this could be used as an alternative for complex calculation with matrices with moderate degree of efficiency. Check in the help menu the following build-in functions such as: COMPLEX(), MINVERSE(), SUMPRODUCT(), TRANSPOSE(), MMULT(), MDETERM(), from IMABS() to IMSUM().

The calculation of the inverse complex matrix can be determined solely based upon the inverses of decomposed real matrices.
Z = A + i.B Z[sup]-1[/sup] = C + i.D
[sup]
Where:
Z is a complex matrix Z^-1= inverse complex matrix
A & B are two real matrices C & D real matrices
I= Identity matrix (all elements=1) i = Imaginary unit = SQRT(-1)[/sup]

Matrices C &D could be calculated in Excel as function of two given real matrices A & B as follow:

? For A nonsingular , det(A) ?0. [For example, for 3x3 matrix with data from A1 to C3 in Excel, select an empty cell MDETERM(A1:C3)]

C = [A + BA[sup]-1[/sup] B][sup]-1[/sup] & D= -CBA[sup]-1[/sup]

? If A is singular (det(A)= 0):, but B is nonsingular, ( det(B) ?0):

C = B[sup]-1[/sup] A [B + A B[sup]-1[/sup]A][sup]-1[/sup] & D = [CA – I]B[sup]-1[/sup]

i'm using casio 992SVPAM model since college days....but most calculator nowadays can calculate not only matrices or complex numbers but can calculate the roots up to 3rd degree

Comment: The general mathematical software, MathCAD or Matlab, is saving time, when a good presentation of the math results is required, and frequent revisions are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back