Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max. allowable size of solid particles in oil pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

4bee

Petroleum
Jun 25, 2012
UA
The question is whether there is a standard or a code governing max. allowable size of solid particles in crude oil pipelines?
A company applies on its crude oil pipeline strainers with mesh size of 8 mm (i.e. there could be solid contaminants of size up to 8 mm). It certainly causes deterioration of pumps, valves and all the equipment. Therefore I need an international standard that would clearly specify that 8 mm large particles are not acceptable, or they are?

In case you have not heard of any such code, perhaps by your own experience you could provide some info on what size of mechanical impurities is acceptable in major crude oil pipeline systems around the world.

Any info is highly appreciated!
Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solids or other contaminants in a pipeline are a contractual issue, not a regulatory issue. Every transportation contract I've ever seen has had a maximum solids size and content.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

zdas04, thank you! Can you please try to recall and let me know what (approximately) the range of sizes of solids was?

Do you think the maximum size of solids is approximately equal for various projects? Or does it vary much?

Is it correct that at the beginning stage of a pipeline system larger solids could be expected there, and after some time average size of solids becomes smaller?

What is common mesh size of strainers in crude oil pipeline systems (by your experience)?

I generally work in gas. It has been too long since I've seen a liquids contract to have a feel for that answer. Others here probably have that.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Dear 786392, thanks for your reply!

No, this is a kind of service for crude oil pumping... however, max. expected size of solids is 8 mm.

Do you know any solids requirements for crude oil services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back