Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max case depth posible with 16mncr5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

anursey

Automotive
Oct 10, 2005
US
Hello all,

This question is specific to the case hardening of 16MnCr5. What is the maximum achievable case hardening depth with this material?

The required hardness is HRC60 +2.

For the application that I have the required finished depth of case (post finish grind is 0.8mm +/- 0.2mm

From the information that I have the Initial max depth of case that is achievable seems to be only 0.8mm.

If anyone can point me in the right direction towards a good reference source it would be a great help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you are talking about carburizing - there is no limit to the case depth. The depth of carbon penetration is proportional to the square root of the time. Leave the part in the furnace long enough and you can carburize it all the way through!
If you are talking about nitriding then the numbers you have are about right for the commercial/practical limit to nitride case depth.

I made a depth case about 1.6 mm with 16MnCr5 steel in vacuum furnace at 885 C degree / 180 min carburising and 150 min diffusion at 900 C degree.
For 0.9-1.0 mm you can use 885 C degree - 125 min carburising and 110 min diffusion at 900 C degree (vacuum furnace with propane).
For another type of furnace (controled atmosphere) you can use aprox 0.2 mm/hour for carburising -depends of type of gas you use.

After oil quench from 830 C degree you must obtain min 66 HRC.

If you want a good microstructure of the case put the parts at -60 to -80 C degree for 2 hours immediately after the quench. This is not obligatory.

Temper the parts at 220 C degree and you should obtain aprox 61 HRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back