Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Displacement of Inner Race under static load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrill22

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2010
US
How would I calculate the, theoretical, maximum distance the inner ring of the deep groove ball bearing, under the bearing's rated maximum static load (1.6 kN) [X in attached image]? In this application, the inner ring is only being axially loaded and only in one direction. The outer ring is pressed in and considered fixed. The inner ring has, what amounts to a shoulder pressed in and the head of the bolt is pressing the top of the bearing. the blue lines represent the inner race moving downward. DISREGARD WHAT LOOKS LIKE A SHOULDER SPRING THE INNER RACE. IT MOVES. I will only, realistically be putting 15 pounds on it, but I need to know how to solve it.

Bearing page:
Link

Screenshot_20191026_095651_l6ki2l.jpg

PicsArt_10-26-09.48.32_d1tkws.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless there is clearance in the bearings (which can be resolved into axial motion via geometry) by the time you notice the displacement in typical applications the bearing will be ruined.

You might be able to sort through the reams of pages on SKF's web site (search for axial stiffness) and find an answer. It would probably be easier to contact their engineering department.

My guess is that under 15 lbs you'll see less than a couple of ten thousands (<.0003 inches).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back