Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

max distance from AP to antenna wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauriciocol

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hi all

I would like to know what is the maximum distance I can install the patch antennas from the Access point in an outdoor installation. I am planing to use 6 dbi gain antenna and to install the AP as far as I can (if possible over 60').

I know there should be a restriction for signal strenght at the Access point side but I don't have that information.

Is there any additional parameter that I should take into consideration for this not usual installation?.

I appreciate any help in this regard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For most WLAN installations, 60' outdoors should be no problem if there is an unobstructed line of sight between antennas.
As for what to watch out for:
1)If you are using externally mounted antennas, keep the cable runs as short as possible. Line loss is much greater at the higher frequencies most WLAN systems operate at. Try mounting the access point as close tot he antenna location as possible.
2)Ensure you have a good path between your antennas. Mount them high enough that you will not get intermittent obstructions from passing traffic (pedestrian or vehicular).
3)The greater the distance apart, the more important it is to point the antennas accurately. Remember close enough only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
4)Enact all security precautions available on your WLAN system. Do not rely upon the default settings to get you by. You probably do not want someone snooping around on your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back