Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Max Fly Ash Specification Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJC6125

Structural
Apr 9, 2017
US
Do you folks include a maximum allowable fly ash limit in your standard concrete specifications? I know Table 26.4.2.2(b) of ACI 318-19 has a limit of 25% for Exposure Class F3 concrete uses. I wasn't sure if anyone puts any other stricter limits than that? A few things I have come across is no fly-ash being allowed (due to discoloration of the concrete in architecturally exposed scenarios or based on the specs of a specific entity like a school district), a 15% limit, and a 20% limit. There's some older threads on this topic, but they were from 2011 and earlier, so I figured I'd ask to see if there's any new thoughts.

Fly Ash In Structural Concrete

what it is the reason for fly ash replacement limits?

Fly Ash in Floor Slab

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I worked for a power utility our spec required 20% fly ash. Other firms I worked at didn't typically address it.

It's interesting to me that some of those older posts mention better workability and finishing. Every concrete finisher I know hates fly ash because it makes the concrete "sticky". But, they hate the new 1L cement even more, basically can't finish that stuff without the use of finishing aides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back