Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max NPS for A335 P11? Spec for welded pipe for larger ODs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebas Danon

Materials
Apr 26, 2020
AR
Hi am trying to find sound info about the max available size for a A335 P11. P11 is seamless and as far as i know, usually the largest seamless NPS is 24" (I have been told there are a few vendros that can offer larger sizes though).
Can anyone tell me if there is any ASTM or similar paper showing what is the largest SMLS NPS for that Std? ASTM A333 does not.

If largest NPS is indeed 24", then for larger sizes you will need to roll and weld an A387-11 plate to get the pipe. What would it be the spec for that welded pipe? I know that thre should be more than one depnding on what type of weld you use. My customer wants me to sell him a 30" P11 and i am telling him there is no such thing but he wants me to show him a paper stating this stuff.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Sebastian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well unless you make it and there's no one you can find to sell it to you then your client is asking for the impossible. Doesn't stop him asking, but makes it difficult to deliver.

I have no idea about this material but don't believe you'll find an excuse this way, only show the list of pipe manufacturers you've contacted and say no one makes it (seamless pipe at 30"). ASTM etc are not in the business of saying xyz cannot be made this way.

If someone wants something badly enough then someone else will find a way to make it. The price maight be 100 x the alternative, but the customer is king and it's his money.

Or tell him that it is only made in unobtanium.....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I suppose there is a table with the maximum seamless pipe diameter, I think is 24". For larger diameters you have to consult another ASTM for rolled welded pipe.

recibe mi saludos

luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back