Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max OD and Thikness of a seamless pipe. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouzidLazhar

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2006
DZ
Does the pipeline manufacturing process have a min wall thickness limit to produce a seamless pipe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the OP's question was more related to feasible manufacturing rather than code / standard tolerances. If I understand the question correctly it could be restated as "What's the thinnest pipe which can be drawn seamlessly?"

jt

Yes, the manufacturer's have a requirement for the maximum ratio of OD to thickness. Cameron used 28:1 and V-M uses 25:1. Depending on the material and actual sizes, there are situations that they may be able to manufacture outside of these ratios, but that needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis with the manufacturer.

I2I

jte, I can see how you thought that. I don't know what he meant, however the absolute thinest wall would be a much thinner than any that would be useful for pressure containment of any kind, so I took the question to the other direction.

Thinking further now, if he's building a pipeline, the pipeline design codes limit Diameter to Wall Thicknesses ratios to about 100, so the thin limit in that case would be 0.01 x OD

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

It is a rule of thumb, and a good one. Some company's will put it in their specs, some don't, all should. I was involved with laying some pipe once with a D/t of 112. It was a nightmare, with all of the buckled joints during cold field bending, buckled pipe during lowerin-in, the money the client "saved" in steel was eaten up and then some.

Anything in the 100+ range makes installation a bear.

Greg Lamberson
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Who manufactures the seamless pipe with 100:1 ratio? In conversations I've had with Cameron and Vallourec-Mannesmann, the acceptable ratios are much lower. That piping is usually A335 or A106 for power applications, but I thought that it was requirement of the manufacturing process.

I2I

We've request two different pipelines:
1- 16" x 0.374" pipe acc. to API 5L X60
2- 20" Sch STD Pipes acc. to ASTM A 53 Gr.B

The manufacture said that the wall thickness is TOO THIN for an execution as SEAMLESS Pipes.

According to API5L, the min Wall thickness for:
- Pipe 16"
is 0.188"
-Pipe 20 "
is 0.219"
that gives a ratio of about 91:1 which meets Biginch's response.

Referring to what all you folks have written previously, I understand that every manufacturer have his own ratio 28:1, 25:1 or maybe 100:1 which leads to say that we can get our above seamless pipe with another manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back