Max Stored Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youcef-OilGas

Petroleum
Nov 7, 2021
DZ
Dear All,

Please could someone tell me , What is the max Energy Stored in Pipe volume (Calculated in ASME PCC-2–2008) that does not let us perform Pneumatic test of new piping. Knowing that we are converting some Test packs from Hydrotest to Pneumatic Test.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

-You can calculate the max. stored energy acc. to Mandatory Appendix II ( Article 5.1, Mandatory Appendix II
Stored Energy Calculations for Pneumatic Pressure Test )

- Follow the decision tree ( Fig. 1 Test Type Selection ) the criteria for max. stored energy alowable 271 MM-J..

- IMO, Pneumatic testing is not a good idea..

- pls look to the following doc.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6b42f94a-ae77-4b2f-bf67-59c7a3701678&file=Air_PNEUMATIC_TEST__shanghai_lng_terminal_failure.pdf
Hi HTURKAK;

Thank you for your valuable information, However I did not get the second point" Follow the decision tree ( Fig. 1 Test Type Selection ) the criteria for max. stored energy alowable 271 MM-J..[/highlight]".Please Clarify, and wherecan I find it?

Regards,

Have you got a copy of ASME PCC-2 2018?

There may well have been an update and this is where you can find a=out all this information. Note you only need to consider 8m of pipe as a volume.

Fig 501-3.3-1 has this number in it. But isn't a yes /no, but you can do it if you do it "safely"

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Youcef-OilGas ( ... However I did not get the second point" Follow the decision tree ( Fig. 1 Test Type Selection ) the criteria for max. stored energy alowable 271 MM-J..[/highlight said:
".Please Clarify, and wherecan I find it?]

I am not sure which version you are looking..

A have copied and pasted the relevant page of ASME PCC-2–2011 (Revision of ASME PCC-2–2008) below. I hope , this would not be violation of copyright..

decision_tree_lbnpyd.jpg

Still my opinion is , forget about pneumatic test .. and pls check your local safety codes for air test.

The actual requirement is to protect all people from the effects of a failed test. At higher energies the safety boundary required to protect from shrapnel from a failed test can get very large.
This is similar to what happens when a pig is pushed down a open ended pipe with compressed air, it will launch out of the end of the pipe like a cannon shot, and can fly a looong ways.
I avoid pneumatic testing when possible.

Trying to figure out all the possible failures is hard and with pneumatic testing the results can be very significant.

Any connection can fail so plugs, instruments, can become like bullets.

Pigs powered by compared air have a long history of incidents causing death and destruction.

Whatever you do take care of yourself and others. And then think a third or fourth time about how to prevent injury in the event of failure.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back