Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Max temperature & shrinkage bar spacing in slab-on-grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

deactivated

Structural
Jun 20, 2016
US
Does anyone know what is the maximum temperature & shrinkage rebar spacing in slabs-on-ground? I've used "Designing Floor Slabs On Grade" by Ringo as my reference. ACI states that the minimum spacing for temperature & shrinkage steel does not apply to slabs-on-ground. However, I did not see anything about minimum or maximum spacing in the book by Ringo. Right not I can get away with #4 bars spaced at 24" but I am a bit concerned that a spacing of 24" might be too much since ACI caps spacing at 18" for regular slabs. I did see some typical spacings in the Ringo book and it did list #4 bars at 24" spacing as one of the typical spacings but I could not find anything about maximum spacing.

Also, how much do the designers usually charge for slab-on-ground design, drawings, and concrete pour inspection? I don't want to overcharge or undercharge the client so am looking for a ball park figure that other firms typically charge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We usually stay in the 18" o.c. range but have gone to 24" o.c. I wouldn't go farther than that.
There's nothing in ACI 318 that I recall for slabs on grade.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back