Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSARWAN

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2015
EG
Dear experts,
wish good day for all
I want to know if there are any recommendations for the maxi. distance between the bracing bays in metal buildings "ordinary hangers with cranes" , I can't find any thing in AISC about this issue.
I used to make the maxi. distance between bracing bays not exceed 30 meter
if any one have a reference for this distance ,it will be very helpful.
Thx .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No reference but I've heard a rule of thumb often that said that every fourth framing bay ought to be braced. That would typically yield a spacing pretty close to yours. Obviously, you can do as you please if you're careful with the engineering.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Our old rule of thumb was 6 bays apart.
The real key is to typically have a braced bay within a bay or two of each endwall to handle the wind loads. Bracing intended primarily for seismic restraint should be spaced relatively uniformly along the length of the building.
Bracing for crane systems should generally be placed near the center of the building length to allow expansion/contraction of the crane system in both directions. You should not typically have multiple braced bays on a crane system unless you plan an expansion joint in the crane beams at some point.
Keep in mind that forces have to transfer from their point of application through struts or other mechanisms to get to your braced bays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back