Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum allowed operating temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

panou

Electrical
Apr 21, 2005
GR
Hello to all.
i am new to this forum and i want to ask for your help to the following. i want to know which are the maximum allowed operating temperatures ( or temperature rises) in conductive materials like busbars, cables, contactors, circuit breakers, terminals, cable joints etc. I find this very essential in order to judje from a thermographic survey where i have increased temperatures of live parts that need to be replaced. From the manufactures i read all the time the maximum ambient temperature (+40 oC) and only that.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on the type of equipment and what standards it was constructed to as well as the material used. There is not a "one size fits all" answer.

Motors and other electrical equipment is often rated at a maximum ambient temperature of 40 deg C. But other equipment is rated at 30 deg C ambient. Allowable temp rise above this ambient depends on the type of equipment, type of insulation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back