Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum Flow Rate - Spool Valves - Subsea S.G. 1.06 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoppo

Marine/Ocean
Mar 30, 2007
US
I have an application that requires operation of spool power valves subsea with flow rates exceeding 250 GPM for response times on the order of 450 milliseconds using a working fluid with a specific gravity of 1.06. The limit of 15 FPS is obviously far too conservative for these transients. Any recommended guidelines?
The actuator system is cushioned to avoid hammer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even if this is a bit out of my normal experience, and as no one else has responded: Do you have a sketch or an actual brand/marketed product (spoolvalve?) in mind? I had trouble googling up a spoolvalve suitable for your description!

Pressure?

The available size of common spoolvalves seems to be limited, and perhaps you want to increase the capacity by increasing the velocity? The velocity referred to is near a maximum of what you could expect to use for water in pipelines, while oil in hydraulic systems will go higher.

Could you have a look at both for similar valves on the market, types and capacity giving practical flow speed limitations?

Note that cavitation seems to be a problem for spoolvalves (high pressure, fast changing pressure in valve and pipeline during operation and closing/opening?)

Be sure that your product actually exists commercially available on the market and will perform within your limits troublefree over the time required!

Thanks for the reply.

We are fairly certain we will have to design our own configuration. A commercial search has come back empty handed.

The fluid is a common blend that is used for subsea piping valves.
Our application has a back pressure minimum of 2500 PSI and a high side pressure from 7500 to 8000 PSI. It is for a seafloor device that is not related to piping systems.

A bit difficult to give advice. I do not know where you are situated or localization of customer/site of application, but may I suggest that you search or contact companies situated in Scandinavia, preferably Norway or supplying to Norwegian based sub-sea companies?

This of course to double-check your market research.

At present Norway is on the leading edge of subsea
development, with a fast ongoing product and application development and supplying world-wide. Mail or phone in english no problem.

You ought either to find products, alternative products or be able to pick up some advice.

Your problem should not be that exclusive. Maybe best to give a function verbal description, not bind yourself to the 'spoolvalve' concept?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back