Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum hardness of material D2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Oct 4, 2005
SI
Hello!
We produce knives from D2 material. We reach 60 - 61 HRc by heat treatment in vacuum furnace (hardening 1040 C, 5 bars, tempering 510 C).
Can we reach 62 - 63 HRC and how?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The relationship between heat treatment parameters and the resulting hardness that can be expected from salt bath heat treatment are contained in the following link:

Salt bath heat treatment will give you the maximum hardening response from the material. By using a vacuum furnace you will normally end up with a slightly lower maximum hardness (depending upon quench rate). As you can see from the table in this link, by air quenching from an austenitizing temperature of 1850 F (1010 C) the as-quenched hardness is 63 HRC. Since you are using a higher austenitizing temperature, you can expect to obtain a higher as-quenched hardness: under ideal conditions I would expect the as-quenched hardness to be in the range of 64 - 65 HRC. I am very surprised that you are able to obtain a hardness of 60 - 61 HRC after tempering at 950 F (510 C). I would expect your hardness to be lower, in the neighborhood of 58 HRC.

D2 typically has a rather large amount of retained austenite in a properly heat treated microstructure. By using a lower tempering temperature, as suggested by adyonel, you will end up with a higher hardness but at the expense of more retained austenite than you would have obtained using the tempering temperature of 510 C. I suggest that you perform a cryogenic treatment after the first temper has been completed, and then follow this cryo treatment with another standard temper cycle. The cryo treatment can be performed in a dry ice solution at -110 F. This will transform as much of the retained austenite as possible, and will likely result in a slightly higher hardness than you would otherwise obtain. And it would improve the quality of the product by resulting in a more fully transformed microstructure. I strongly recommend that you have a commercial heat treat facility perform this type of service for you if your company is not familiar with this type of operation.

Maui

in my experiance as you are hardening a thin part you shoud cool it alitelbeat slower or austenitize it in lower temperatur so you will have less retained austenite and more hardness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back