Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

maximum load on the api 650 tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudiawan .

Petroleum
Jun 28, 2017
ID
i do the pipe stress analysis for piping connecting to the api 650 tank.
refer to annex P on the API 650, The limiting piping loads are as follows: FR, MC & ML
FR max is the radial thrust applied at the mid-surface of the tank shell at the opening connection, in N (lbf);
MC Max is the circumferential moment applied to the mid-surface of the tank shell, in N-mm (in.-lbf);
ML Max is the longitudinal moment applied to the mid-surface of the tank shell, in N-mm (in.-lbf);

How to convert into FX,Fy,FZ, Mx,My and Mz, so can easily compare with the result of load in the nozzle from piping stress analysis software

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The load limits listed are not independent of each other, and it is necessary to consider the combinations of the loads. That is the point of the nomograms, etc. in P2.7.
In the past, I have found this to be problematic for various reasons. For one, it is limited as to the size of the tank on which the approach can be used. (If I remember correctly from ages ago, the derivation assumed shell thickness was proportional to pressure, which limits it to larger tanks). Additionally, it is not clear how interpolation in Fig. P.2 should be performed, which can leave large variations in results.
The alternatives are WRC 297 type approaches (generally limited to thicker shells away from the bottom) or finite element approaches.
I believe there is piping software available that can do the FE approach for the tank nozzles.
Note that derivation of piping loads without consideration of the nozzle flexibility can substantially off. Also, there are deflections associated with the tank that may not be reflected in the piping analysis (ie, a nozzle may rotate downward or upward when the tank is filled, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back