Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum LTCS thikness that can be cladded by weld overlay or roll bonded 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdelilah00

Chemical
Feb 15, 2017
AE
Hi dear all

I would like to know if there is a thickness limit for LTCS plate that can be cladded by weld overlay or roll bonded with Inconel 625 before considering the Explosion bounded cladding.

The purpose is to construct a (PV) with base plat made of (LTCS) and (125) mm thickness that shall be cladded with Inconel 625.

Also, I would like to know which above cladding process is the most expensive ???

Thanks in advances

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Weld overlay would be the cheapest. I don't believe that you can get roll bonded clad plate of that thickness, at lest you could ot when I was involved with similar vessels a few decades ago. Therefore explosion bond would be the most expensive, but I am not aware of costs from China.

But remember that weld overlay is the lowest quality (porosity, inclusion base metal dilution) and explosive clad is the highest quality.
When corrosion performance is critical explosive clad is often competitive with multi pass weld overlay. With EC you can use a thin clad layer and still get very good performance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thanks guys for your valuable information.

My concern with the Explosion bounded cladding is many clients specification is prohibiting this process and prefer the weld overlay or roll bonded with out any justifications.

In terms of the max thickness where corrosion resistant weld overlay can be used, our thickest vessel wall was 11 inches and one proposed was 12 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back