Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

maximum Operating Class 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

samreen

Electrical
Aug 27, 2007
PK
Normally where thte insulation of Cable is mentioned,a maximum operating class is defined like 600/1000V.What do 1000 signify in this statemnet.?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It signifies maximum RMS AC voltage that cable insulation can withstand continuously. 600V between any insulated conductor and earth (metal covering of the cable), 1000V between any two phase conductors. Take a look at IEC 60227-1

I agree with your explanation but I am afraid this is not the IEC correct number of standard.
From IHS Standards Store: IEC 60227-1 Document Information: Title:
Polyvinyl chloride insulated cables of rated voltages up to and including 450/750 V – Part 1: General requirements.
I think the correct number may be: IEC 60502-1 Power cables with extruded insulation and their accessories for rated voltages from 1 kV (Um = 1,2 kV) up to 30 kV (Um = 36 kV) – ch. 4.1 Rated voltages.

Looks like you're right. I referred to IEC 60227-1 as an example of U0/U definition, not as standard for exact type of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back