Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum particle size -Triaxial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristina Cavero

Geotechnical
Jul 16, 2018
PE
Hello all,

According to the ASTM D4767, the maximum particle size for the triaxial specimen should be less than 1/6 diameter. Can you share your experiences about this, whay sieve do you use for a 2.8'' remoulded specimen and 4'' remoulded specimen.

I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,
Cristina

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One reply. My need for triaxial tests was quite limited and besides, the cost of an elaborate group of test gear had to be balanced against need. The only triaxial tests I did were on undisturbed mostly clay samples from 2" and 3" Shelby tubes. I saw no need for using disturbed samples. This is from my experience on many hundred jobs of many types. Generally little or no gravel content for the test sample.

Triaxial tests can be performed on any gradation....the ASTM standard is for general soil conditions....rock triaxials are common.

I agree with Ron and oldestguy. /i should also note that depending on the project, if you have substantial budget, a large triaxial cell can be used. I used a large triaxial chamber once for a mega dam project and the cell was almost 0.6 m tall! a huge cell and such an expensive test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back