Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum Quantity Storage Limit Table Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jskruzny

Chemical
Feb 4, 2016
US
I posted this question in the IBC forum with no luck. I figured I'd try and repost here.

I'm looking for some help with interpretation of Table 2703.1.1(1) "maximum allowable quantities" as it applies to flammable liquid & combustible liquid storage.

2 questions:

1. Footnote e. We are currently storing flammable & combustible materials in a sprinklered control area. Some is stored in flammable cabinets and some is stored outside the cabinets. Do all the flammable materials need to be stored in flammable cabinets for footnote e to apply? Our current interpretation is that we have a 240 gallon limit outside the cabinets and an another 240 gallon limit inside the cabinets. Is this correct?

2. Are the quantities listed specific to that material? or, are they a total?

Example. If I have both Class IC flammables and Class II Combustibles stored in the same control area, what is my maximum allowable quantity? Is it 480 gal (after applying footnotes e & f) of Class IC AND another 480 gal of Class II? or is it a combined 480 gal?

I swear I saw something in the regs that made me think it was a combined limit. But now I can't locate that statement and I'm second guessing myself.

I can't find a local resource that can help with these simple questions, so I'm reaching out here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Questions:

1) Which edition of the IFC are you using?
2) Are the control area in question at the grade plane or are they above or below the grade plane? See IFC Table 2703.8.3.2.

Thank You all for the replies.

To answer stookeyfpe's questions:

1. I am actually looking at the 2015 version NFPA 30 (Table 9.6.1). But, I Believe it's the same as the IFC Table 2703.1.1(1).

2. The control areas in question are at grade level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back