Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Relief Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNJR

Industrial
Jul 29, 2003
ES
I´m a junior engineer and i´m introducing myself to "amazing" psv world.

I´m having problems with determining maximum temperature for each relieving case.

Is there any general tip for calculating temps for different scenarios?

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are referring to fire case with a wetted vessel then the releiving temperature is equal to the boiling temperature of you liquid at the releiving pressure (incl 21% overpressure if you are working with API520.

Best regards

Morten

In the oil industry usually we keep the stream temperature for the rundown 20F lower then the flash point temperature of that hydrocarbon stream. But in RV you have to consider the firing case when the PSV or RV should be sized to handle a fire case scenario in the vessel. The liquid will combust to gas and the volumetric rate will just shoot up. So if you are designing for a fire case you should consider the combustion temperature.

But if it is just a normal pressure releasing valve like in cooling water heat exchanger or water vessel as a safety measure for the equipment. Then the design temperature will be just the max process temperature expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back