Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

maximum step 3d file can be opened/edited in autocad mechanical 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo123

Electrical
Mar 25, 2010
SG
Dear Expert,
i just receive 3D step files from my boss. the biggest one is around 290MB. i get difficulties to open/view/edit this file. how many file siZe, we can still be comfortable to open/view/edit/add something in the autocad file, assumed my PC specification is the standard one not so satisfied specification. any method to reduce 3d file siZe in order we can work on smaller siZe then original file.

regard,
roni

regards
roni

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've run into something like this in the past. My ONLY solution was to get the person who generated the file to clear out the original model file AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and re-write the step file. An alternate approach might be to write components of an assembly out to discrete files that you would then have to re-assemble yourself. NOT convenient, but workable. A final approach might be to see if the originating software can write out an ACIS "SAT" file, which is a native ACAD 3D model file, again after stripping out as much extra stuff as possible to reduce file size .

Good luck !

-C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back