Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum temperature on interconnecting streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

goxter

Chemical
Mar 18, 2014
RS
Hello all,

can anyone tell me what is maximum allowable temperature in interconnecting streams between units at refinery?

We are trying to utilise heat form some streams, but to do that, we have to send them accros plant to another units thath have unused steam generators.

Is there any standard where I can find limitation for max temeprature, if there is one?

Thank you in advance for help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No.

It will depend on what the two streams were independently designed for in the original (unconnected) service. They might have been the same of course, but the lower-rating of the two is going to control unless you can absolutely guarantee that the lower-rated system will NEVER see the higher temperature by back-flow or mis-aligned valves or windmilling pumps.

Also take care if this hot piping crosses between two different units/areas or go above in-plant roads. Fire hazards and the corresponding zoning may change depending on fluid conditions at elevated temperatures (i.e. above flash point or auto-ignition temperature etc.).

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

There may be thermal hazards from hot surfaces as these pipes cross electrically classified hazardous areas - check with an electrical engineer / technical or process safety engineer who may have the Codes relevant to your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back