Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Working Temperature for Human Being

Status
Not open for further replies.

code1

Civil/Environmental
Apr 14, 2007
SG
Can anyone point me to references that provide information on the highest allowable temperatures a worker can work in for a sustained period of time?

I have a case of high indoor temperature in a factory due to high heat losses, and the temperature may reach 130 deg F/ 55 deg. C. I was told by the Consultant that it is "Ok". Any advice?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be prepared to measure temperature wind speed and humidity. There even devices that you set up that measur all this and calculated heat stress and the time limits. The device will produce something like, Workers may only work 30 minutes with a 15 minute rest period (in another environment).

OSHA has not set a specified maximum or minimum temperature in which someone can safely work. NIOSH has put out several very good articles related to working in hot conditions. Really you have to take heat exposure on a case by case basis. Some people handle high heat very well and others do not. You should implement a training program which details the signs and symptoms of heat stress and heat stroke. You should also try to have some job rotation, if possible, and/or increase the number of breaks for your employees. Also, make available plenty of fluids for you employees. You would be surprised how much moral can improve by just providing them with free Gatorade, as long as they don't complain about being diabetic.

Dear all,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. So it confirms what I thought- OSHA has not set the standards because humans can have vast differences physiologically.

The employees definately need to have a comprehensive HSE program.

Also in Googling, I have managed to find recommendations for exposure temperatures workers working in confined spaces, e.g. mines.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back