Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCC Room Ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

biswaji

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2001
US
Hi All

Does MCC room ventilation for an water treatment plant requires filters to be installed? The MCC room involved here is below grade level and I am planning to bring ventilation air from an intake shaft while the same air being drawn by the exhaust fan to release to the atmosphere. Is there any codes/guidelines that talk about whether any filters to be introduced at the intake or not? Appreciate your thought.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not aware of any codes that require filtration of ventilation air to an electrical or MCC room. However dust is any enemy of solid state electronic equipment and unless you are in an area where it is never dusty then I would recommend filtration. It is difficult to clean dust from electrical equipment.

If it is not a dusty area then you will not have to change filters very often.

My engineering firm had an account with a large pharmaceutical that allowed us to track and target issues like this. Not only is dirt the enemy to electronics build up on heat sinks forces the electronics to work harder-spend more energy.

We always included 30/30 pre-filters and 95% bag filters in rooms with a heavy electronics usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back