MCC vs panelboard feed for pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapankatwala

Electrical
May 12, 2007
CA
Hello,

I wanted to understand when to use panelboard to feed motor loads v/s MCC. There are about 10-12, fractional to 2 hp, 1-phase, 208V, pumps which needs power in a heating system design. These pumps have ECMs and hence wouldn't need starter, but would require control via BAS. The total motor load is around 9,000 - 10,000 watts. Each pump would require a dedicated disconnect switch within line of sight.

I wanted to inquire about the best practice feeding options for these pumps. I thought if I could consider MCC then all the disconnects (with hand-off-auto) could be installed in one location instead of running feeds from panelboard to separate disconnects. MCCs usually seem to have min. bus rating of 600A, so I wanted to inquire if such MCCs would have lug rating of approx. 60A or so I could feed the MCC via appropriately sized feeder (#6 AWG) and 60A breaker from a central distribution panel.

I'd appreciate your insights.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the most economical approach would be to utilize a distribution panel, mount all of your hand/off/auto switches on a single standalone enclosure, and install an IEC type enclosed disconnect switch at each motor location.

MCCs are for 3 phase motors, I don’t believe anyone makes them with single phase starters.

And yes, 600A bus is the smallest (with 309A vertical bus in each section). It’s very expensive to attain UL listing of MCCs, the market for smaller sizes does not warrant the cost to test and list them.

I would just use a panelboard.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back