Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McPherson Strut Suspension - Loads In Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

garagetuner

Automotive
Mar 30, 2008
AU
Hello All,
I have a few queries regarding McPherson strut type suspension systems and loads in members, in particular, the lower control arm. I would like some clarification as to the loads being experienced by the lower control arm, in particular bending loads.
(I can see tension and compression, but have also been told there will be bending present)
If anyone can provide an insight into the loads being experienced and their magnitudes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Longitudinal forces at the ball joint due to accelerating and braking?

Bending from lateral forces due to the neutral fiber(s) of the LCA not remaining in the plane defined by the ball joint and control arm chassis-side pivot points?

Norm

Looking at the picture, there are some nasty little offsets in the pick-ups at the outboard end of the LCA, and probably the axis of the spring won’t coincide with the axis of the strut, usually due to clearance issue with the tyre. Also, the spring will exert an offset load on the spring platform.
As a first pass, draw a free body diagram (as suggested) for each link as a complete system, assuming zero friction at all of the joints, with the loads due to braking, cornering, bump etc applied at the contact patch. Apply 1g braking, 1g cornering etc. Using the principle of superposition, you can calculate the effects of load combinations for real g levels for each attachment and each member. Careful with your sign convention!
Then, add reasonable estimates of friction for each joint, applied as torques at each end of each member as appropriate, and see those forces change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back