Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ME/PM Using a New MS Surface Studio Looking for helpful tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
Good morning. I am a mechanical engineer and program manager. I recently was nominated to test drive the new Microsoft Surface Studio for my job and to provide a report on if it is worth the upgrade from our current Dell's or not. I'll be putting it through my normal routine which involves Solidworks, AutoCAD, Catia, and many other programs.

I came here to ask what other tools are available on Surfaces to help program managers and mechanical engineers that you'd normally not find on a regular laptop? The ability to use the pen opens up the possibilities, but other than whiteboard, I feel like I'd need to search for software's to help engineers and program managers. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. My business is a manufacturer that deals in fabrication and machining. Thank you!

Brandon LaSota
CAD Engineer
Modineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey bj,

Not sure what to make of this request, being that over the past three and a half years you've not replied to more than 20 percent of the threads you started. I replied to one of yours a year and a half ago, with the same response as described above.

What say ye?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

We use surface pros & surface laptops exclusively at work. There is nothing helpful or surface specific programs that I can think of or mention. The benefit is really the touch and pen functionality, but there is no mainstream software that really takes that functionality to the next level that I know of. It's nice to have and if it was taken away I'd probably miss it, but not essential to do your job. Just use the same software but with ability to use touch and pen on a case by case basis.

All the office products have pen functionality, useful for marking up documents in some instances to function in a paperless environment. Scribbling or sketching something in an excel spreadsheet is useful to a degree. Similarly, in bluebeam, there is a pen tool that is much easier to use with the pen than a mouse.

I kind of feel if you're not operating in a 100% paperless environment then you're not benefiting as much from the new tech, so that's the main benefit I see from going to a surface device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back